Thursday, December 11, 2008

Flooding our Daily Engine

Today, as I was driving into work, one of the most terrifying things that can occur when you're driving actually happened. I was on a busy main road, waiting to make a left turn while cars were flying down every lane in the morning rush-hour madness, when my engine suddenly just stopped. There was a car or two ahead of me, also waiting for the traffic to clear so they can turn, so I know I had some time, but panic started to set in. I was right there in between traffic going both directions and I couldn't get out of the way--I wonder why I was starting to get nervous?? So, I turned my key hoping my car would start again. One car in front of me turns, and there was another car before I had to turn. I felt the engine kick in only to die again. Ok, ok, just remember to breathe now Josh. Now all the things I knew I had to get done today came to my mind. All the people that were relying on me to finish things, the people I had to pick up later in the day so we could make it to the dress rehersal for our church's Christmas performance--alot of people would be affected by this incident and ultimately I know that their own plans could backfire. So, I did all I could do in that moment, I prayed to Jesus to give me grace and to just make my car fire back up so I could go on and get through the responsibilities of my day. Thanks to God, on the second try, my car started and I didn't have any more problems the rest of the day.

It got me thinking though. Just as I need my car to work properly each day, how much more does my own heart, spirit and soul need to be functioning right so I can effectively reach others on a daily basis. Take a moment, just as I have to do, and look at your own life. Ask yourself, 'How much am I relying of Christ to fill me with His strength and grace each day or am I relying on myself and my own ways to get me through?' It really is all about maintaining a relationship with God for everything in life. All it takes at first is spending a few minutes talking with your Creator and getting to know what He is saying to us through His Word in the Bible.

-Josh
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Kevin Mahaffy, Jr. said...

Awesome word Josh! I'm so glad you're always looking for the teachable moment. That's the gift of teaching in you!
PK