Monday, November 17, 2008

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Last Wednesday I shared about the need for us to be respectful of others. The Bible says, “Show proper respect to everyone...” (I Peter 2:17).

There are many forms of respect, but the respect we were talking about is what I would call Basic Respect, or common courtesy. Basic respect says: I recognize you. I value you as a person. I consider what you have to say important. I care. Disrespect communicates the opposite.

Basic Respect is not earned, it is something everyone deserves.

Planet Impact values people and believes that all people – made in the image of God, imperfect as they may be – deserve the common courtesy of basic respect.

Below are Keys to Respect. They can and should be applied to one-on-one conversations as well as our behavior in such venues as youth group.

Remove distractions
Engage with active listening
Stay focused
Patiently wait for the right opportunities talk
Exemplify Jesus (WWJD? / WDJD?)
Consider how they view you (If they value you enough to share, shouldn’t you value them enough to listen?)
Treat others as you want to be treated
Share/Bookmark

No comments: